Easy Company MU
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» How do I delete my profile?
Today in History EmptyThu Nov 16, 2023 5:40 pm by Gnilraps

» Access Request
Today in History EmptyThu Nov 16, 2023 5:39 pm by Gnilraps

» Access Request
Today in History EmptyTue Mar 12, 2019 10:27 pm by Whydoibother

» Access the Forum
Today in History EmptyMon Jan 07, 2019 12:30 am by Whydoibother

» Request Access
Today in History EmptySat Sep 22, 2018 1:58 am by GunnarP

» Requesting access
Today in History EmptyThu Sep 20, 2018 4:15 pm by Whydoibother

» Access request
Today in History EmptyWed Aug 29, 2018 10:06 pm by Whydoibother

» Requesting Access
Today in History EmptySun Aug 12, 2018 11:47 pm by Whydoibother

» Requesting Access
Today in History EmptySat Aug 11, 2018 5:15 pm by Whydoibother

» Requesting Access
Today in History EmptySat Jul 21, 2018 12:32 pm by Undo

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Today in History

+6
BeachBunny
Rastafu
RaccoonGoon
ubuntu21
S A I T A M A
Franklin Stone
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Today in History Empty Today in History

Post by Franklin Stone Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:26 am

January 7, 1945

Today in History Bernard-montgomery-e1340157388735
World War II: British Field Marshal Bernard Law Montgomery, 1st Viscount Montgomery of Alamein, KG, GCB, DSO, PC  holds a press conference in which he claims credit for victory in the Battle of the Bulge.
Franklin Stone
Franklin Stone
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Today in History Empty Re: Today in History

Post by Franklin Stone Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:49 am

January 8, 1812

Today in History Andrew_Jackson_20_dollar_bill

War of 1812: Battle of New Orleans – Andrew Jackson leads American forces in victory over the British.
Franklin Stone
Franklin Stone
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Franklin Stone Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:56 am

January 9, 1127

Today in History 220px-Wanggiyan_Aguda
Emperor Qinzong
Ninth Emperor of the Song Dynasty
23 May 1100 – 14 June 1161

Jin–Song Wars: Invading Jurchen soldiers from the Jin dynasty besiege and sack Bianjing (Kaifeng), the capital of the Song dynasty of China, and abduct Emperor Qinzong and others, ending the Northern Song dynasty.
Franklin Stone
Franklin Stone
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by S A I T A M A Sun May 10, 2015 11:37 am

May 10 1940 Churchill becomes prime minister

Today in History Winstoon-churchil-quote-wallpapers_38677_1366x768

Winston Churchill, First Lord of the Admiralty, is called to replace Neville Chamberlain as British prime minister following the latter’s resignation after losing a confidence vote in the House of Commons.
S A I T A M A
S A I T A M A
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by ubuntu21 Fri May 15, 2015 6:10 am

May 15th, 2010 - Jessica Watson becomes the youngest person to sail, non-stop and unassisted around the world solo.

Today in History 640px-Jessica_Watson_Ddf_2011
ubuntu21
ubuntu21
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by S A I T A M A Fri May 15, 2015 2:56 pm

Soviets begin withdrawal from Afghanistan

By 1988, the Soviets decided to extricate itself from the situation. Russian leader Mikhail Gorbachev saw the Afghan intervention as an increasing drain on the Soviet economy, and the Russian people were tired of a war that many Westerners referred to as “Russia’s Vietnam.” For Afghanistan, the Soviet withdrawal did not mean an end to the fighting, however. The Muslim rebels eventually succeeded in establishing control over Afghanistan in 1992.
S A I T A M A
S A I T A M A
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by ubuntu21 Sun May 17, 2015 6:31 am

May 17th, 1940 - World War II: Germany occupies Brussels, Belgium
ubuntu21
ubuntu21
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by S A I T A M A Sun May 17, 2015 1:21 pm

LAPD raid leaves six SLA members dead
S A I T A M A
S A I T A M A
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by RaccoonGoon Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:18 pm

June 3rd

The Dutch West India Company receives a charter for New Netherland, which led to settlements in what is now New York, New Jersey, Delaware, and Connecticut.
RaccoonGoon
RaccoonGoon
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by S A I T A M A Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:34 pm

Battle of Midway begins

On this day in 1942, the Battle of Midway–one of the most decisive U.S. victories against Japan during World War II–begins. During the four-day sea-and-air battle, the outnumbered U.S. Pacific Fleet succeeded in destroying four Japanese aircraft carriers while losing only one of its own, the Yorktown, to the previously invincible Japanese navy.
S A I T A M A
S A I T A M A
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Rastafu Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:08 pm

Battle of Aljubarrota - 1385

The Battle of Aljubarrota was a battle fought between the Kingdom of Portugal and the Crown of Castile on 14 August 1385. Forces commanded by King John I of Portugal and his general Nuno Álvares Pereira, with the support of English allies, opposed the army of King John I of Castile with its Aragonese, Italian and French allies at São Jorge place, between the towns of Leiria and Alcobaça, in central Portugal. The result was a decisive victory for the Portuguese, ruling out Castilian ambitions to the Portuguese throne, ending the 1383–85 Crisis and assuring John as King of Portugal.

Portuguese independence was confirmed and a new dynasty, the House of Aviz, was established. Scattered border confrontations with Castilian troops would persist until the death of John I of Castile in 1390, but these posed no real threat to the new dynasty. To celebrate his victory and acknowledge divine help, John I of Portugal ordered the construction of the monastery of Santa Maria da Vitória na Batalha and the founding of the town of Batalha (Portuguese for "battle". The king, his wife Philippa of Lancaster, and several of his sons are buried in this monastery, today a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Here is the military numbers:
Today in History BJ984V7
Rastafu
Rastafu
Newb

Back to top Go down

Post by S A I T A M A Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:09 am

Ronald Reagan dies

On this day in 2004, Ronald Wilson Reagan, the 40th president of the United States, dies, after a long struggle with Alzheimer’s disease. Reagan, who was also a well-known actor and served as governor of California, was a popular president known for restoring American confidence after the problems of the 1970s and helping to defeat communism.

Born on February 6, 1911, Reagan, who was nicknamed Dutch as a youngster, was born and raised in several small towns in Illinois. Despite a disadvantaged upbringing—his father abused alcohol and had trouble holding jobs—Reagan was a popular and outgoing student. He served as president of his high school’s student council and stood out at football, basketball, and track, as well as acting in several plays. During the summer, he worked as a lifeguard, reportedly saving 77 people over six years.
S A I T A M A
S A I T A M A
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by BeachBunny Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:10 pm

FDR takes United States off gold standard

On June 5, 1933, the United States went off the gold standard, a monetary system in which currency is backed by gold, when Congress enacted a joint resolution nullifying the right of creditors to demand payment in gold. The United States had been on a gold standard since 1879, except for an embargo on gold exports during World War I, but bank failures during the Great Depression of the 1930s frightened the public into hoarding gold, making the policy untenable.

Soon after taking office in March 1933, Roosevelt declared a nationwide bank moratorium in order to prevent a run on the banks by consumers lacking confidence in the economy. He also forbade banks to pay out gold or to export it. According to Keynesian economic theory, one of the best ways to fight off an economic downturn is to inflate the money supply. And increasing the amount of gold held by the Federal Reserve would in turn increase its power to inflate the money supply. Facing similar pressures, Britain had dropped the gold standard in 1931, and Roosevelt had taken note.

On April 5, 1933, Roosevelt ordered all gold coins and gold certificates in denominations of more than $100 turned in for other money. It required all persons to deliver all gold coin, gold bullion and gold certificates owned by them to the Federal Reserve by May 1 for the set price of $20.67 per ounce. By May 10, the government had taken in $300 million of gold coin and $470 million of gold certificates. Two months later, a joint resolution of Congress abrogated the gold clauses in many public and private obligations that required the debtor to repay the creditor in gold dollars of the same weight and fineness as those borrowed. In 1934, the government price of gold was increased to $35 per ounce, effectively increasing the gold on the Federal Reserve’s balance sheets by 69 percent. This increase in assets allowed the Federal Reserve to further inflate the money supply.

The government held the $35 per ounce price until August 15, 1971, when President Richard Nixon announced that the United States would no longer convert dollars to gold at a fixed value, thus completely abandoning the gold standard. In 1974, President Gerald Ford signed legislation that permitted Americans again to own gold bullion.
BeachBunny
BeachBunny
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by S A I T A M A Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:28 am

D-Day

Although the term D-Day is used routinely as military lingo for the day an operation or event will take place, for many it is also synonymous with June 6, 1944, the day the Allied powers crossed the English Channel and landed on the beaches of Normandy, France, beginning the liberation of Western Europe from Nazi control during World War II. Within three months, the northern part of France would be freed and the invasion force would be preparing to enter Germany, where they would meet up with Soviet forces moving in from the east.

With Hitler’s armies in control of most of mainland Europe, the Allies knew that a successful invasion of the continent was central to winning the war. Hitler knew this too, and was expecting an assault on northwestern Europe in the spring of 1944. He hoped to repel the Allies from the coast with a strong counterattack that would delay future invasion attempts, giving him time to throw the majority of his forces into defeating the Soviet Union in the east. Once that was accomplished, he believed an all-out victory would soon be his.

On the morning of June 5, 1944, U.S. General Dwight D. Eisenhower, the supreme commander of Allied forces in Europe gave the go-ahead for Operation Overlord, the largest amphibious military operation in history. On his orders, 6,000 landing craft, ships and other vessels carrying 176,000 troops began to leave England for the trip to France. That night, 822 aircraft filled with parachutists headed for drop zones in Normandy. An additional 13,000 aircraft were mobilized to provide air cover and support for the invasion.

By dawn on June 6, 18,000 parachutists were already on the ground; the land invasions began at 6:30 a.m. The British and Canadians overcame light opposition to capture Gold, Juno and Sword beaches; so did the Americans at Utah. The task was much tougher at Omaha beach, however, where 2,000 troops were lost and it was only through the tenacity and quick-wittedness of troops on the ground that the objective was achieved. By day’s end, 155,000 Allied troops–Americans, British and Canadians–had successfully stormed Normandy’s beaches.

For their part, the Germans suffered from confusion in the ranks and the absence of celebrated commander Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, who was away on leave. At first, Hitler, believing that the invasion was a feint designed to distract the Germans from a coming attack north of the Seine River, refused to release nearby divisions to join the counterattack and reinforcements had to be called from further afield, causing delays. He also hesitated in calling for armored divisions to help in the defense. In addition, the Germans were hampered by effective Allied air support, which took out many key bridges and forced the Germans to take long detours, as well as efficient Allied naval support, which helped protect advancing Allied troops.

Though it did not go off exactly as planned, as later claimed by British Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery–for example, the Allies were able to land only fractions of the supplies and vehicles they had intended in France–D-Day was a decided success. By the end of June, the Allies had 850,000 men and 150,000 vehicles in Normandy and were poised to continue their march across Europe.

The heroism and bravery displayed by troops from the Allied countries on D-Day has served as inspiration for several films, most famously The Longest Day (1962) and Saving Private Ryan (1998). It was also depicted in the HBO mini-series Band of Brothers (2001).
S A I T A M A
S A I T A M A
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by RaccoonGoon Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:34 am

^You got a good one. I'm glad I held off on posting here for today.

o7
RaccoonGoon
RaccoonGoon
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by RaccoonGoon Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:39 pm

June 12th

- 1939: The Baseball Hall of Fame opens in Cooperstown, New York.
RaccoonGoon
RaccoonGoon
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by S A I T A M A Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:48 pm

Reagan challenges Gorbachev

On this day in 1987, in one of his most famous Cold War speeches, President Ronald Reagan challenges Soviet Leader Mikhail Gorbachev to “tear down” the Berlin Wall, a symbol of the repressive Communist era in a divided Germany.
S A I T A M A
S A I T A M A
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Franklin Stone Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:24 am

Colonists in North America completed James Fort in Jamestown.
Franklin Stone
Franklin Stone
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by S A I T A M A Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:57 am

First woman in space

On June 16, 1963, aboard Vostok 6, Soviet Cosmonaut Valentina Tereshkova becomes the first woman to travel into space. After 48 orbits and 71 hours, she returned to earth, having spent more time in space than all U.S. astronauts combined to that date.
S A I T A M A
S A I T A M A
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Franklin Stone Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:28 am

June 16, 1858

In a speech in Springfield, IL, U.S. Senate candidate, Abraham Lincoln, said the slavery issue had to be resolved. He declared, 'A house divided against itself cannot stand.'
Franklin Stone
Franklin Stone
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by S A I T A M A Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:55 am

Statue of Liberty arrives in New York Harbor

On this day in 1885, the dismantled State of Liberty, a gift of friendship from the people of France to the people of America, arrives in New York Harbor after being shipped across the Atlantic Ocean in 350 individual pieces packed in more than 200 cases. The copper and iron statue, which was reassembled and dedicated the following year in a ceremony presided over by U.S. President Grover Cleveland, became known around the world as an enduring symbol of freedom and democracy.
S A I T A M A
S A I T A M A
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Franklin Stone Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:21 am

On Jun 18, the first duel in America took place in the Plymouth Colony in Massachusetts.
Franklin Stone
Franklin Stone
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by RaccoonGoon Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:59 pm

Another good one for today:

June 18th

1928 – Aviator Amelia Earhart becomes the first woman to fly in an aircraft across the Atlantic Ocean (she is a passenger; Wilmer Stultz is the pilot and Lou Gordon the mechanic)
RaccoonGoon
RaccoonGoon
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Rhodan Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:54 pm

Congrats Nexx, stvarca, Whiskey Jack, MadDeep, Big Serxhio, Dark Smock, MaestroAkel, Deszoski, Jipex, Jordic, Masamune44, ComplexCrow and synhro

oops, this ended up in the wrong topic

Last edited by Perry Rhodan on Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : oops, this ended up in the wrong topic)
Perry Rhodan
Perry Rhodan
Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Franklin Stone Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:27 pm

Susan B. Anthony was fined $100 for attempting to vote for a U.S. President.
Franklin Stone
Franklin Stone
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next